Alicia Lawhon is an award-winning Los Angeles realtor who discovered a love for her city’s architecture as a young creative living in Silver Lake in the 1990s. W Magazine recently hailed her as the “Silver Lake earthy poster girl.”
As a Sotheby’s International agent, Alicia has access to her firm’s vast resources. As a longtime Los Angeles resident, she has deep local knowledge that offers her clients the edge in an increasingly competitive Los Angeles market.
As a veteran of the fashion industry, she has a rare eye for style, detail, and trends, and demonstrates a unique understanding of a client’s needs, which she refined during her years as a salesperson for the designer collections at Fred Segal/Ron Herman; then as a personal stylist for musicians and actors; and ultimately as the designer of several fashion labels. She has sold the members of Metallica on the virtues of Dries Van Noten and now expertly matches homes with buyers, instinctively knowing how to inspire desire for a property, at whatever budget, regardless of location.
Alicia loves helping people—to wake up in the morning with the mission to be helpful—which is why she loves what she does. The City of Los Angeles recognized her with a Certificate of Appreciation for “making our city a better place to live.” She donates her time and efforts to local organizations including the Annenberg Foundation, Project Angel Food, Heart of Los Angeles, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation. She loves dinner parties, the desert, karaoke in Koreatown, and spending time with her husband and their rescue dog Lola.
16 Questions with Alicia
1. Social Media Handles? Instagram - alicialawhonrealestate
2. Brokerage? Sotheby's International Realty Los Feliz
3. Other Languages Spoken? Spanish
4. Cities Lived In? Hermosa Beach, Hollywood and I currently live in Silver Lake.
5. Former/Other Profession? Head Merchandiser for Fred Segal/Melrose, Designer and Celebrity Stylist.
6. Childhood Dream? To become a Fashion Designer, which I managed to do! I most loved dictating silhouettes and pallets - my collections hung next to the likes of Martin Margiela, Dries Van Noten and Helmut Lang and sold in well-respected shops like, Maxfield, Fred Segal, Colette Paris, Joyce Hong Kong, Isetan Tokyo and Barneys New York. Creativity is mandatory In real estate, and I bring that enthusiasm & creativity to my work today.
7. Favorite Los Angeles artist? I love Bari Ziperstein, Roger Herman, Sage Vaughn, Mary Weatherford, DeeDee Cheriel, Zoe Crosher, and own works by them all. I also love the french photographer Maripol (who now lives in LA) & the brilliant dancer Ryan Heffington!
8. Education/Degrees/Certificates? I studied art history and creative writing at UCLA. Fashion/design at L.A. Trade Tec and I have a certificate from the City of Los Angeles for "making our city a better place to live." I also had the pleasure of working with Interior Decorator Cliff Fong.
9. Specialized Location? Los Angeles.
10. Specialized Property Type? Single Family & Income Property.
11. How do you spend your weekends? If I am not working, we have a home in Yucca Valley across from the Mojave Land Trust. My husband strums the guitar. We love to hike and host dinner parties. The stars & silence are outstanding. You can hear the bird feathers flap above. Like a great meal, its magical & nourishing.
12. What does the word home mean to you? A Cabinet of Curiosities full of Love.
13. What do you like most about your neighborhood or region? The people, my friends especially, and the architecture. Silver Lake is home to the first infinity pool at the Silvertop Lautner house, we are also surrounded by Schindler, Harris, Neurta, as well as Griffith Park & Elysian Park.
14. Do you have any unique talents? My background is in design & merchandising, and I am lucky enough to have learned from the best. My teachers were Cliff Fong (now interior decorator) and Nina Garduno of Free City, she is a master at creating desire for things you never knew you had to have. I bring that inspiration to my listings.
15. What’s the most interesting story you can tell about yourself?
When I was a manager at Fred Segal, I could not believe that my employees did not have health insurance. All the managers had insurance, but not the employees, so I met with the VP & he told me that the uninsured staff did not want health insurance, as a percentage of their paychecks would be deducted to pay for it. I made a deal with him. I told him, that if I got everyone to sign a petition for insurance coverage, that he would have to give it to them. And I did - and he did! Full coverage including optical and dental.
I was also told that the book/film Shopgirl by Steve Martin was inspired by my friendship with Leonard Green & I dated Nick Cave.
16. What aspect of the Sotheby’s brand do you most enjoy? Sotheby's is synonymous with luxury. Luxury service is what I aim for, and it's available to everyone regardless of their price point.
Life is super-natural. I would love to tell you so much more. I once had a deep conversation with Carrie Fisher. She turned to me, looked me in the eye & said “you have to write a book”. I hope I do. I hope you read it and I hope it inspires you.
We listed our home with Alicia, and loved working with her right from the start. She answered our questions, addressed our concerns and was always available with answers as new questions came up. We reached out to Alicia after seeing what a great job she did selling our neighbor's home. She gave us wonderful tips for freshening up the look of our place, and recommended great people to assist us in doing so. Her vision of what our house could be really came together during the staging. Alicia was instrumental in helping us transform our place in a unique way that attracted the perfect buyer. We knew and felt that she always had our best interest at heart. Her honesty and professionalism shines through at every stage of the process. We highly recommend Alicia to anyone looking for an excellent real estate professional.
– Caleb & Fabianne Mose